Percolator bongs use a bit of clever engineering to maximize the filtration and cooling effect from your bong water.
Scientifically, percolation refers to the process of fluid filtering through a porous material. In the case of a percolator bong, this fluid is your smoke and the porous material is a series of small holes in the glass.
By forcing the smoke to split up into different paths and exit through these various holes, it maximizes the amount of contact the smoke has with your bong water.
Instead of all your smoke rushing directly into the water, it is broken up (diffused) and gradually fed through the water.
The result? A smoother, cooler hit that has been more effectively filtered of tars and combustion byproducts.
Improve the quality of the hits
Percolators can seriously improve the quality of bong hits. They let the bong perform its most essential functions -- cooling and filtration -- more effectively, utilizing nothing but some clever mechanics.
Not only are they functional, but they’re also quite a sight to behold. A huge glass bong outfitted with a variety of chambers and percolators is quite impressive, even if it’s just sitting on a table.
When it’s put to work, the show of smoke running through the intricate percolator tubes can be otherworldly!
Types of percolators
While all percolators accomplish the same thing, they all use different methods of getting there.
The main difference between any of these percolators is the structures they use to diffuse the smoke.
While the impact on the quality of your hits is important, these different styles also have a strong impact on the visual appearance of your bong.
- Dome Percolators - As the name implies, a dome percolator utilizes a small dome that sits at the base of the chamber. The smoke passes over the dome and is diffused through a series of slits or small holes into the bong water.
- Tree Percolator - Tree percolators rely on a series of “branches,” narrow glass tubes which run down into the chamber. Smoke is first split up and runs down these various branches, before diffusing through slits in the branches into the bong water.
- Showerhead Percolators - These disk-shaped pieces of glass are covered with a series of holes, resembling a showerhead. Smoke spreads out over the bong water. the surface of the disk before being diffused through the small holes into
- Honeycomb Percolators - These percolators use a piece of glass with a series of honeycomb-shaped holes cut into its face to accomplish its diffusion. Smoke is broken up over the honeycomb pattern and diffused through the holes into the bong water.
- Inline Percolators - This percolator can come in a variety of different percolator types. What they have in common is sitting directly in the path of the smoke’s route through the bong stem and into the chamber. While often not as extravagant as some of the other types of percolators, inline percolators do a great job at diffusing smoke.
- Cheap Percolator Bongs - Take a look at our selection of affordable mini bongs with percolators, or keep an eye out for our frequent sales and amazing discount deals. We have plenty of cheap percolator bongs that won’t let you down.